Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Maintaining Social Networks

A recent article on the Teknision blog complains about the pain it is to build and maintain social networks again and again on one site or another:

There is something very wrong with the web……

I wonder how many times I have had to find and add Gabor Vida, Steve Mackenzie, Ryan Stewart, Mike Chambers, Phillip Kerman, Mike Downey, Mike Potter, Stacey Mulcahy, Ryan Murphy, Mykel Ruvola( and on and on and on and on) in the last few months. I have spent a huge amount of my time across social networks re-finding the same people over and over and over again.

I too have felt that pain and I am feeling the pain yet again as several of my compatriots have joined dopplr to keep track of where we all are and find interesting crossings of paths as we gallivant around the world.

Interestingly, this is what the Liberty Alliance's People Service was designed to solve, including the connection to people in different identity circles (e.g. they didn't all have accounts within the same identity domain). You can follow along on a webcast on the subject: audio is here, presentation deck used is here.

Take a look, there's some interesting stuff there.

Tags : / / / / /

No comments: