Monday, September 22, 2008

Absentee Ballots

At last week's Liberty TEG F2F in Boston, Hubert (the guy living in French alps who just recently became a US Citizen) pointed out to the rest of us that the fall Liberty Alliance Sponsor's meeting in Tokyo is taking place the week of our presidential elections here in the US.

So, those many of you who will be attending the meeting in person should head on down to your local registrar (or however you would do it within your state/county) and register for an absentee ballot.

In Virginia, they only allow absentee voting for a limited set of reasons, none of which include "I'm more comfortable voting from home" or "I don't want to have to deal with the long lines at the local precinct." I think that they should allow anybody to use an absentee ballot, regardless of reason (even if they just feel like it). I mean, that's the point, isn't it: Get the person's vote counted.

I also don't like the fact that some/many/all places that use absentee ballots, only count them when they can make a material difference in the outcome (e.g. if the election's difference in votes is less than the total number of absentee ballots). I think that sucks. I would rather they just always count them (and perhaps start with those numbers first. Just makes sense to always count a vote. Imagine if they chose to not count a state's votes if the state's population couldn't make the difference in the outcome of a race.

In any case, if you're going to the meeting, be sure to get your ballot. This is sure to be an interesting election (though I wouldn't mind an Obama landslide -- even if that meant that they didn't count my absentee ballot).

Tags : / / / /

No comments: