Saturday, October 14, 2006

Examples of Math Geniusness

A friend of mine sent me these examples of math geniusness (probably because I don't stop bragging about my son, the math genius who took the AP Calculus BC class last year as a high school freshman!) that I thought I would share:

First, an example of expanding an equation:

I don't know why they didn't get credit as the equation clearly is expanded from its previous writing each time

Now, onto some inventive trigonometry (the part of math I really don't like all that much either):

And, of course, math would be lost without some square roots:

And, finally, the old infamous 3-4-5 right triangle:

I don't know if any of these are real results from tests or not (I received them in the typical joke email distribution kind of thing) but they do seem to have a quality of realism to them. My wife, who teaches 7th grade Math, wouldn't be surprised if they were real (of course she's quick to point out that she would not give credit for such answers, no matter how inventive).

My son assures me that they were not his work, although he was impressed by them (I think he wishes he could claim at least one of them was his).

Tags : / / / /

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you can see this and some more at immense-world.blogspot.com