Sunday, November 19, 2006

Gadget of the week

Speaking of collections, my collection of DVDs has been getting out of hand. I used to hand-enter them into an Access database so I could generate lists for quick lookup. However, I haven't had the time/energy to add any new DVDs in the past year or two and the list of un-entered DVDs has just been too daunting to deal with.

To the rescue: The Collectorz Movie Collector program and the Collectors Barcode Scanner. With this setup, I've been able to scan my entire collection of close to 600 DVDs in a few hours while watching TV. Just scan the UPC code on the DVDs with the scanner (it's portable) and then plug it into my laptop... All the barcodes are automatically sucked into the program... press a button and the software pulls down lots of info from the internet (using Collectorz database, IMDB, Amazon and DVD Empire) and poof.. all the data is entered.

Most of the time was me printing the labels for the DVDs (1, 2, 3...). Scanning took almost zero time.

A very good investment, if you ask me!

Tags : / / / / / /

No comments: