Sunday, November 05, 2006

Canon Powershot SD800 IS

A few weeks ago I bragged about my new gadget: the Canon Powershot SD800 IS camera. I had purchased the camera from amazon.com for $362 and added a Patriot 4GB SD card from ecost.com for $69 ($109 - $40 rebate).

My recent almost-trip-around-the-world presented me with a large number of opportunities to use the camera in a number of different environments, lighting conditions and settings. I have to say I am very happy with the results.

For this trip, I also brought along my Canon EOS 5D Digital SLR with a Canon EF 28-135 IS lens and the Canon Speedlite 580EX flash -- my "good camera" that I only bring along for special occasions or trips.

I used both cameras throughout the trip (you can tell which camera by the image number -- numbers > 4800 are the 5D) with the 5D brought out for the special occasions and the SD800 with me pretty much all the time. You can look at most of the photos on my web site in the following collections: a wedding in London, visit to Hong Kong, visit to Tokyo and visit to Kyoto.

I took many pictures with the SD800 in part because it was always with me (being small enough to comfortably carry in your pocket all day) while the 5D was frequently left back in the hotel room. The image stabilization helped take many pictures that I would not have otherwise gotten (including a hand-held macro picture of some Japanese coins at 1/15). The video feature worked well and had surprisingly good video (although I wouldn't recommend it for important videos as it's hard to do smooth panning with such a small camera). The zoom range was quite useful, especially the wide side.

All in all a good camera at a good price in a good package.

I even convinced two of my fellow traveling companions that they needed to get the SD800. Perhaps I should get a commission from Canon :-).

Tags : / / / / / /

No comments: