Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Web hosted applications

One of the things that helps support my position of having real honest-to-goodness local applications and not depending upon web hosted applications:

Google    
Error
 

Server Error

The server encountered a temporary error and could not complete your request.

Please try again in 30 seconds.

This happened several times over the period of an hour or so last night as I tried to work on a blog post.

Not being able to get to my work environment really bothers me, especially when the availability is totally out of my control and there's no useful information about what to do about it, when it's going to come back or even what, exactly is going on.

Yes, similar things can happen on my laptop (an OS crash, a bad disk, etc.) but at least I feel like it's under my control and that I need to do something to get it working again (rather than being totally at the mercy and whim of the internet gods).

Note also that I'm not picking on Google or Blogger -- just pointing out a serious drawback in the web hosted application model (at least in my point of view). Google the web search engine definitely seems to have this problem solved as I can't remember ever gotten an "unavailable" problem trying to do a search (although my way-too-much time spent on airplanes still means I won't rely on web applications for mail, word processing, etc.).

Tags : / / / /

No comments: